Saturday 24 December 2016

Butterfly Love

The other day I say some very pretty butterflies in our front garden and I realised it's been a long time since I've seen them. It's probably because we had a cold Spring and now it's really hot.  Coincidently,
I finally received my new Penny Black Butterfly Trio stamps, so I decided to take a break from Christmas cards and this is the result.


I stamped the butterflies using Distress Espresso Ink and clear embossed it. Then I coloured them with Ripe Permisson, Candied Apple,  Fossilized Amber and Squeezed Lemonade Distress inks mixed with water. When it was dry, I painted clear gesso over the butterflies and then added the background wash.  To finish I added the Altenew sentiment, splattered some ink, swiped the edges with distress stain and mounted it on the card base. 

I am sharing this with the CAS Watercolour Challenge - the theme is to use 'resist', which I have done in 2 ways ( embossing and clear gesso).


4 comments:

  1. Your butterflies are so pretty Jenny!! I have never tried clear gesso, but what a great way to create a resist on your beautifully coloured butterflies so you could add a wash in the background. I'm going to have to look into getting some of the clear gesso. :) Thanks for sharing with us at CAS Watercolour! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous butterflies, Jenny! Our butterflies are gone for the winter so I really enjoyed these! Beautiful job of painting them! Thanks so much for sharing with us at CAS Watercolour!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must investigate your idea of using clear gesso as a resist! Love the brightly coloured butterflies against the subtle background wash. Thanks for joining us at CAS Watercolour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a pretty card Jenny - love the butterflies with the soft blue background.
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete